Saturday, May 1, 2010

Recipes

About me & Buttercream!


About me & my buttercreams~

I made my first buttercream from scratch in August 09, using a recipe from Wilton.  Next I tried Martha Stewarts, I followed her along on my tv video on-demand, less the strawberry puree on the video.  Then I started getting creative to make them just a bit more scrumptious and perfected my process of making to exactly how I love eating icing.  Not too sweet, not too thin…just perfect for me is buttery, creamy, sweet & flavorful!!!

I will be honest I don’t have specific measurements after the butter & sugar in the recipe.  I go with the texture and flavor I am looking for to judge how much to put in, I will give you a good idea of how much I put in but use your gift of senses to get exactly what you are looking and what you like!!  And I always use a teaspoon or 2 of vanilla in each batch & a must REAL CREAM!!   

I often use my wonderful and resourceful “The Flavor Bible” when I make a new buttercream.  I always check to be sure the added flavors compliment each other so I don’t waste anytime ;).  I am a mother of 3 very busy girls and I enjoy doing so many things…I don’t leave much time for error in my kitchen.  Although it does happen sometimes, but the more I learn the less it happens {big smile}!

I hope you find my recipes useful in making your buttercreams more flavorful and colorful!  Buttercream to a cake or a cupcake to me; is like perfectly accessorizing your outfit for a fun night out!!




My Basic Buttercream Recipe~

2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 tablespoon of vegetable shortening ( if you want to sub the shortening add ¼ stick of butter)
Cream butter and shortening or just the butter very well
Add 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract & a pinch of salt (I use Kosher)
Mix together

Adding the Confectioner/PowderedSugar:
Total of 4 cups or 1 pound
Some recipes call for you to sift the sugar, I don’t find that necessary. What I do is~ pour the sugar into a mixing bowl 1st to loosen it up. 

Add the sugar to the butter 1 cup at a time on Medium Speed

After you are done it should be crumbly a bit and big chucks of sugar and butter~

Next the cream~

Add 2-3 tablespoons to start.  Again this is where buttercream becomes personal to me with the texture of it.  Mix again on medium until you get the desire of flavor and texture you want.  Only add 1 tablespoon additional at time to reach it. 

{TIP: if you add to much cream, just add more powder sugar.  But again a little at a time}

That is my basic buttercream!! 

Any comments or questions leave them here or send me an email~ stacyk17@comcast.net


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me some buttercream. I've tried several recipes and still looking for a knock your socks off taste. I'll be waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I whipped up a batch last evening. O-H My is it fantastic! The recipe is very similar to one that I use, but what a difference. It's so smooth and dreamy. Can't wait to try more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! Happy for you glad it worked out for you!! Enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the sugar, regular or powdered? I have never made my own buttercream and I want to try this seems very easy.

    ReplyDelete